Dr. Jason Lim Coo obtained his MSc and PhD degrees from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2012 and 2017, respectively. His doctoral research thesis was on water infiltration into a new three-layer landfill cover system using recycled concrete and nanomaterials.
A new three-layer landfill cover system was proposed in this piece of research. This new system consists of a low permeability soil such as clay added underneath a two-layer cover with a capillary barrier effect (CCBE) (i.e. fine-grained geomaterial overlying a coarse-grained geomaterial). Based on the experimental and numerical results, the newly proposed three-layer landfill cover system using recycled concrete performed satisfactorily in humid climate regions under extreme rainfall conditions.
Dr. Coo is currently a post-doctoral fellow at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. His current research interests include Geo-environmental Engineering and Ecological Engineering.
- Assessment of environmental containment systems for municipal waste
- Beneficial use of industrial by-products for geotechnical applications
- Soil improvement using nanomaterials and microbes or bacteria (e.g. biopolymer and biofilms)
- Effects of carbon dioxide and soil nutrients on the soil-plant hydrological interaction
- Root effects on soil hydraulic and mechanical properties